Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Healthy Eating

I love homemade tacos. Sometimes I like to fry corn tortillas in vegetable oil for a crispy, crunchy shell. Sometimes I like to fry them in olive oil for a soft, juicy shell. Other times, I like to eat them as healthy as possible...in lettuce. 

I buy stalks of romaine lettuce and peel the leaves off for my "shell"

 I cook my meat with Old El Paso taco seasoning. It usually comes in little packets, just enough for 1 lb of meat, and I've been addicted to it for years. And despite my beliefs on buying pre-mixed seasoning, you can imagine my glorious surprise when I discovered they now make it in jar form.

Next, assemble and eat. Despite using lettuce instead of a heavy shell, this meal is actually just as fulfilling. And healthy!!!

 And of course I had to make guacamole. And I learned from my roommate that if you put your avocado pits in the bowl after you make it, it doesn't turn brown!!!

Last summer we ate at Boudro's in San Antonio and had the most delicious guacamole ever, found here. If you're looking on a smartphone or kindle, the link won't work, so I've included the recipe below. The most unique part is the orange squeezed into it. Doesn't sound good, I know, but it is surprisingly a very interesting add. However, I've found that basically if you just chop up avocado and add any number of salsa ingredients, you're set to go. I even threw in some tomatillos last night!

Boudro's Famous Guacamole
Ingredients
Juice of 1/4 of an orange
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1 avocado seeded and scooped out of skin
2 Tbs roasted and charred Roma tomatoes diced
1 ea Serrano pepper roasted seeded and diced
1 Tbs medium dice red onions
1 tsp chopped cilantro
coarse ground salt to taste (sea salt is better)

Directions
Squeeze juices into bowl. Add avocado and coarsely chop. Add onions, roasted tomato, serrano and cilantro fold into avocado mixture. Add salt (more is better). Result should be crudely chopped not mashed. That's it.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Yum! Great idea. I am going to link this to my blog.

    ReplyDelete